The FDFA provides information only on a periodic basis and does not guarantee the accuracy or comprehensiveness of the information provided. Article 5 of the Swiss Abroad Act stipulates that every individual shall exercise personal responsibility when planning or undertaking a stay abroad or when working abroad.

In the picture there is a glacier surrounded by water.
The Perito Moreno Glacier is the largest glacier located in the Los Glaciares National Park in the Argentine part of Patagonia. © Unsplash

Swiss nationals do not need a tourist visa for a stay of up to 90 days. A valid passport, a return or onward travel ticket and proof of sufficient funds for the stay are required for entry. Tourist stays can in principle be extended once for 90 days by the relevant authority. Official information can be obtained from the Dirección Nacional de Migraciones. Gainful employment is not permitted.

If a longer stay or gainful employment is planned, a visa application must be submitted to the relevant Argentine representation (Argentine embassy in Bern). Different types of visa exist for specific purposes, including business trips, work-related short-term stays, unlimited stays and retirement. The Argentine representation will provide legally binding information on the entry requirements currently in force. 

Visa for Argentina

Registration with the Swiss representation abroad 


Swiss nationals who are relocating abroad must register with the competent Swiss representation (embassy or consulate) abroad. They must do so within 90 days of the date on which they deregistered from their last commune of residence in Switzerland. You can register directly at the representation or via the online desk. To register as a Swiss citizen abroad, you need a valid passport (or a valid ID), a deregistration certificate and, if you have one, a certificate of origin.


Registration is free of charge. Registering will enable the Swiss authorities to contact you in an emergency and facilitate speedier processing of administrative matters such as issuing an identity or civil status document. Registering is also a good way to stay in touch with Switzerland. Swiss citizens who are registered with a Swiss representation abroad receive the Swiss Review – the magazine for the Swiss community abroad – free of charge. If you are over 18, you can also register to vote on initiatives and in referendums and elections in Switzerland.

Vaccination and health

The Healthy Travel website provides vaccination recommendations and up-to-date information on infectious diseases. Please check vaccination recommendations before you travel.


Innovation and Partnerships

Consular Directorate CD
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern


Helpline +41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33

Start of page